Reading this week’s materials has me thinking about God in a brand new way. Until now, I have never thought about how a ‘timeless’ God continues to dip into our world that is marked by time, consumed with time, built around the passage of time.
The God of the universe, the eternal One, the timeless One, actually desires to step into the realm of humans over and over, touching our world in points of time to reveal himself to us. This is so cool. This is because he wants to.
Dan Wilt’s comment challenged me, “Time is simply a measurement of change…. It is actually a “space” in which we meet with God, encounter God and renew our commitment to God.” Because we humans are so forgetful, we need regular reminders to force us to stop and reflect about who God is and what he has done. We need weekly services. We need our small groups. We need yearly events. Why?..Because we forget. Traditions draw us back to a rich history that offers hope for our future. The God of the past is also our God of the future.
My next thought is how does God want me to use these discoveries to draw me closer to him? I must first confess how much time I lose each day and how much time I have lost getting to know my Creator. I waste time delving into things that really are so temporal and have no lasting value. Many days I complain about how busy I am, but who sets most of my schedule? Am I really so busy that I cannot give God a small portion of my day to simply hang out with him? I am his beloved, but am I seeking him like he seeks me? Are my actions consistent with my heart’s cry to get to know my Lord more? I have to say no. Sadly, I say no.
I am challenged once again to look at my use of time. I look ahead to the time I am being given and say, “Come, Timeless One, teach me more of who you are. Thank you for dipping into my brief timeline here on this earth and letting me know how much you love me.” This would make a great song!
Thank you for your kind comments on my blog and your prayers for Jacob and my family.
ReplyDeleteSo excited to read your post about what you're learning in Dan's class - he is a great friend and I'm thrilled that you're enjoying Red! Have a wonderful day!